Secondary-Side Interface IC Supports Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 2.0 Technology Adapters with D+/D- OVP Protection
A team of engineers is ready to answer your questions
Secondary-side controller allowing rapid charging of QC2.0-enabled mobile devices
The iW629 is a Rapid Charge™ secondary-side interface and communication IC that works with the iW1780 primary-side AC/DC digital controller to support low-cost Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 adapter solutions for smartphone and tablet power supplies, with double-layer cable protection features.
The iW629 integrates Dialog’s proprietary secondary-to-primary digital communication technique using an optocoupler to relay commands to the iW1780 AC/DC controller. The iW629+iW1780 chipset provides efficiency as high as 88% to enable the higher power density needed for small form-factor fast charging adapters.
The iW629 includes a proprietary overvoltage protection feature for the D+/D- pins on the USB connector that, along with the SmartDefender™ advanced hiccup technology integrated in the iW1780, provides cable soft-short protection on both the primary and secondary sides. Learn more about SmartDefender advanced hiccup technology here.
Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ is a product of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
See Primary-Side Controller iW1780
- Supports Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 2.0 Technology High Voltage Dedicated Charging Port (HVDCP) Applications – 5V and 9V outputs.
- Double-layer Cable Protection
- Secondary Side (iW629): Proprietary D+/D- Over-Voltage Protection (OVP) Addresses VBUS D+/D- Soft Shorts
- Primary Side (iW1780): SmartDefender™ Smart Hiccup Technology in iW1780 Reduces Average Output Power at Fault Conditions without Latch
- Backward Compatible with USB Battery Charging Specification Revision 1.2 (USB BC1.2) Dedicated Charging Port (DCP)
- Pin-to-Pin Compatible with iW626
- Proprietary Secondary-Primary Communication Technology
- Relays Output Voltage Requests, Output Current Limits, Output Voltage Undershoot and Output Over-Voltage Protection, Fault and Reset Signals
- Single Optocoupler Relays Information from iW629 (Secondary) to iW1780 (Primary)
- Programmable Active Fast Discharge Switch
- Quickly Discharges VOUT from 9V to 5V at Portable Device Unplug or Upon Request
- <10mW No-Load Standby Power Consumption at 5V Steady-State Operation
- 6-lead SOT-23 package
- Additional protection features
- Pin-to-pin short circuit protection
- Floating pin detection
- Rapid Charge™ power adapters for mobile electronics
- Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 2.0 technology HVDCP (5V, 9V) adapters
Typical applications diagram
Functional block diagram
Need technical help?
Visit our support web site to:
- Get help from Dialog experts online.
- Search the forums.
- Access software, drivers, tools & utilities.