USB Power Delivery 3.0 Interface Controller
A team of engineers is ready to answer your questions
Supports USB Power Delivery 3.0, Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 4+, and Direct Charge Adapters
The iW656P USB power delivery (USB PD) 3.0 interface controller resides on the secondary side of the AC/DC power supply and manages the communication between the power adapter and mobile device.
The iW656P works with Dialog’s controllers (iW1791, iW1797, iW1799) RapidCharge™ primary-side controller and supports fast charging protocols, including USB PD 3.0, Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ and direct charging. It transmits all necessary information via an optocoupler to the primary side, including voltage requests, output current limits, output voltage undershoot, output over-voltage, and fault and reset signals.
The iW656P also works with Dialog’s iW676 synchronous rectifier, which eliminates the need for a parallel Schottky diode for higher efficiency and lower BOM cost.
For USB PD 3.0 interface controller with integrated current sense, see iW657P.
Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ is a product of Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
- Supports Multiple RapidCharge Protocols:
- USB PD 3.0 PPS (Programmable Power Supply)
- Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 4+
- Direct Charge
- Other RapidCharge Protocols
- Compatible with USB Type-C™ Rev. 1.2
- Supports wide output voltage range from 3.3 to 21V
- NMOS VBUS Switch Lowers System Cost
- VCONN Support for Smart Cables
- Single Optocoupler for All Rapid Charge Information
- Low No-Load Power Consumption <20mW
- High Efficiency up to 90%
- Double-Layer Cable Protection:
- Automatic AC Un-Plug Detection
- Protects Phone Battery from Damage Due to High Voltage Exposure if Charger is Unplugged then Re-Plugged into Mains with Charging Cable Still Connected
- USB PD 3.0 AC/DC Power Adapters for Smartphones, Tablets, Laptops and Other Mobile Devices
- USB PD 3.0 Power Supplies for Set Top Boxes, Displays, Speakers
- USB PD 3.0 in-the-wall receptacles
- Lamps and lighting fixtures with USB PD 3.0 ports
iW656P Functional Block Diagram
iW656P Typical Applications Diagram
iW1797_iW656P Typical Applications Diagram
iW1799_iW656P Typical Applications Diagram
Need technical help?
Visit our support web site to:
- Get help from Dialog experts online.
- Search the forums.
- Access software, drivers, tools & utilities.