USB Power Delivery Interface Controller for AC/DC Power Adapters
A team of engineers is ready to answer your questions
Supports USB Power Delivery, Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 3.0 and 2.0, and Direct Charge Adapters; Companion to the iW1781 or iW1791 RapidCharge™ AC/DC Controllers
The iW656 USB power delivery (USB PD) interface controller resides on the secondary side of the AC/DC power supply and manages the communication between the power adapter and mobile device.
The iW656 works with Dialog’s iW1781 or iW1791 RapidCharge™ primary-side controller and accepts fast charging protocols, including USB PD. It transmits all necessary information via an optocoupler to the primary side, including voltage requests, output current limits, output voltage undershoot, output over-voltage, and fault and reset signals.
The iW656 also works with Dialog’s iW676 synchronous rectifier, which eliminates the need for a parallel Schottky diode for higher efficiency and lower BOM cost.
- Supports multiple RapidCharge Protocols:
- USB-IF PD certified (USB PD 2.0)
- Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 3.0
- Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 2.0
- Direct Charge
- Compatible with USB Type-C™ Rev. 1.2
- Supports wide output voltage range from 3 to 20V
- NMOS VBUS Switch Lowers System Cost
- Single Optocoupler for All Rapid Charge Information
- Low No-Load Power Consumption <20mW
- High Efficiency up to 90%
- Double-Layer Cable Protection:
- Secondary side (iW656): D+/D-/CC1/CC2 Overvoltage Protection
- Primary side (iW1781 or iW1791): SmartDefender™ Smart Hiccup Technology Helps Protect Cables and Connectors from Excessive Heat and Damage by Reducing Average Power During Short Circuit by at Least 50%
iW656 Typical Applications Diagram
iW656 Functional Block Diagram
Need technical help?
Visit our support web site to:
- Get help from Dialog experts online.
- Search the forums.
- Access software, drivers, tools & utilities.