Not Recommended for New Designs
A team of engineers is ready to answer your questions
Replaces FETs with lower-cost BJTs at up to 10W
The iW1679 is a high performance AC/DC controller designed to easily and efficiently drive an external, power bipolar junction transistor (BJT) for peak current mode PWM flyback power supplies rated at up to 10W. It replaces MOSFETs with lower-cost BJTs to reduce the BOM cost in 5V/2A power adapters for smart phones, media tablets and consumer electronic products. Additional BOM cost savings come from Dialog’s patented PrimAccurate™ primary-side control technology that eliminates the need for a secondary-side regulator and optical feedback isolator.
The iW1679 uses digital control technology to actively modulate the BJT base current drive, optimizing performance and improving efficiency by keeping the BJT out of saturation. The device provides high, 83% active average efficiency, maintains high efficiency at loads as light as 10%, and achieves <30mW no-load standby power with fast response to power load changes, easily meeting the US DoE external power supply standard and the EU’s Code of Conduct, version 5, tier 2 standard. In addition to BJTs generating lower EMI compared to FETs, the iW1679 uses Dialog’s EZ-EMI® technology that uses valley mode switching to further reduce EMI and reduce the cost of external filtering components. It also includes a proprietary switching mode that results in no audible noise from the controller.
- Output Power: 5W to 10W
- Drives Low-Cost, 10W BJT Power Switches to Lower BOM Cost
- Easily Meets U.S. DoE and European CoC Version 5, Tier 2 External Power Supply Standards
- Ultra-Low <30mW Standby Power Consumption
- High 83% Active Average Efficiency
- Maintains High Efficiency at 10% load
- Quasi-Resonant Control Optimizes Efficiency at All Loads
- PrimAccurate™ - Primary-Side Control, No Opto-Coupler Needed
- Intrinsically Low Noise Solution - No Audible Noise Over Entire Operating Range
- User-Configurable Voltage Offset Compensation for Voltage Loss in Cables and Connectors (4 Options)
- EZ-EMI™ Design to Easily Meet Global EMI Specifications
- Fast Dynamic Load Regulation
- Fully Protected from Fault Conditions
- Over-Temperature Protection
- Output Over-Voltage and Over-Current
- Input Under-Voltage Protection
- Sense-Resistor Short Circuit Protection
- 5V/2A Power Adapters for Media Tablets
- 5V/2A Power Adapters for Smart Phones
- 5V/2A Adapters for Consumer Electronic Products
Typical Applications Diagram
Functional Block Diagram
Need technical help?
Visit our support web site to:
- Get help from Dialog experts online.
- Search the forums.
- Access software, drivers, tools & utilities.