16-Channel, External Current Sinks LED Driver with Patented 2-pin Sensing to Protect Against LED Shorts
Support forums, documentation, software, tools and utilities
16-channel, external current sinks LED driver
The iW7027 is a 16-channel LED backlight driver that enhances TV picture quality and reduces BOM cost for 2D and 3D LCD TVs. It uses external LED current sinks and up to two external DC/DC converters (boost, buck, LLC, etc.) for the LED driver to enable easy current and voltage scaling. By integrating Dialog’s patented BroadLED™ technology, enabling a unique 2-pin LED open/short sensing technology to protect the external current sinks, the iW7027 eliminates the need for high voltage sensing components and reduces the required pin count resulting in a smaller, lower-cost package. The BroadLED technology also enables the use of loosely binned LED arrays, further reducing the total BOM cost.
Dialog’s patented AnyMode™ dimming offers comprehensive, simple and flexible options to improve LED TV picture quality. It allows continuous PWM signals or burst PWM signals that are fully synchronized to the video frame at the same or higher frequency. The PWM duty cycle can be updated in each video frame and with user-configurable tail or head delays. This provides more options to reduce motion blur and improve the contrast ratio. A built-in PLL (phase-locked loop) further ensures jitter-free operation even with a noisy VSYNC signal.
- 16-channel LED driver controller, unlimited LED voltage per channel
- Patented BroadLED™ adaptive switch mode technology for high current matching at maximum efficiency
- Enables patented 2-pin external LED open/short protection circuit
- Enables use of cheaper, loosely binned LED arrays for lower BOM cost
- TQFP-44 Package – reduced pin count and cost
- Flexible input supply voltage rating: 5V/9V-16V
- AnyMode™ comprehensive dimming control improves picture quality
- High frequency PWM dimming up to 4kHz
- Scanning-mode PWM dimming
- Configurable phase-shift dimming
- 8-bit analog dimming
- 12-bit PWM dimming
- Hybrid dimming (analog and PWM)
- PWM dimming range: 0% to 99.9%
- Scalable LED current
- Supports 2D and 3D LCD TV modes
- Supports patterned retarder (PR) and shutter glass (SG) 3D technologies
- Comprehensive protection features:
- Individual LED short protection
- Channel-to-channel short protection
- Current sink MOSFET drain-to-source short protection
- Current sense resistor short protection
- Microcontroller interrupt interface
- LED open-fault detection
- Over-temperature protection
- Digitally controlled scanning mode
- External LED current sink MOSFETs for maximum flexibility
- SPI daisy-chain interface simplifies design when supporting more than 16 LED strings
- Internal PLL ensures jitter-free operation even with noisy VSYNC signal
- Reduces BOM costs
- Digital control engine eliminates need for MCUs
- 2-pin sensing removes need for external high voltage sensing components
- 5V/9V-16V input supply voltage eliminates need for separate voltage rail
- Direct and Edge-Lit LED TVs
Typical applications diagram
Functional block diagram
We will provide up to five parts free of charge and our sales team will provide pricing for sample orders exceeding five parts. To initiate your request, please complete the form below.
Need technical help?
Visit our support web site to:
- Get help from Dialog experts online.
- Search the forums.
- Access software, drivers, tools & utilities.